This is my absolute favorite time of year, hands down. God captures my heart in so many simple ways during the season of fall all the way through New Years, but he does it extraordinarily so during the Christmas season.
The twinkling lights make my eyes sparkle, and drinking warm hot chocolate curled up under a blanket on the couch brings warmth to my soul. Things like a crackling fire in the fireplace, watching really cheesy Christmas movies (yes, including the Hallmark Channel), having a Christmas playlist constantly playing from Pandora, and decking our halls with Christmas cheer make the top of my list as well.
Honestly, I could go on forever about all of the reasons I love this time of year, and all of the things I want to do to make it special every day for the whole season. But, as I am here to only write a blog, and not a novel, I will keep it short and concise!
Zach and I will be celebrating our second Christmas together as a married couple this year! We are thrilled to not only celebrate our one year anniversary, but celebrate Christmas as well. So of course that means we have our own “to do” list for the holidays of things that we want to do together!
Here are some of our top ones this year…
1. Take our one year wedding anniversary “weekend getaway.” Our plan this year is to visit Helen, Georgia! We will be staying at the lodge at Unicoi State Park, where we got married a year ago! The city of Helen is always decked out in lights, so we can’t wait to walk around and make some fun memories.
2. Visit Stone Mountain Christmas! We don’t live very far from the super Atlanta attraction of Stone Mountain Park, and lucky for us, they do it up BIG for Christmas! This was my first year to go, and I must say, it’s spectacular! If you are in the area, you must go.
3. Make popcorn and cranberry garland for our Christmas tree. It’s a simple thing, but we found it so fun and it was a cheap way to add some festivity to our home, and a great date!
4. Bake and decorate Christmas cookies! Both Zach and I love to bake…especially Christmas cookies. We will be making a bunch before Christmas to share!
5. Have a Christmas ornament exchange party. We did this for the first time this year, and it was an absolutely blast! We set up a hot chocolate bar, had some treats and invited friends and family into our home to exchange ornaments! We will definitely be doing this again next year.
6. Watch “A Christmas Story”. And many other of our Christmas favorites! But especially this movie…we both love it and it has a special place in our hearts. (“You’ll shoot your eye out, kid!”)
7. Have our own Christmas morning celebration. Christmas day this year will be spent with Zach’s family, which is so incredibly special. But we also want to start our own Christmas day traditions too, so we will have our own small little Christmas celebration together on Christmas morning!
8. Drive around and look at Christmas lights together with hot chocolate. Seriously, what’s better than seeing some fancy houses with amazing Christmas light displays while drinking hot chocolate? Not much, I would say.
9. Read the Christmas story together. We love the Christmas season, and even more so the REASON for the season. It’s easy to get caught up in the busy-ness and even the fun things to do, but it’s good to slow down and really remember why we celebrate Christmas…the birth of Christ!
10. Visit Arizona! This one won’t be done before Christmas, but we hope to visit my family in Arizona around the beginning of January and celebrate Christmas with everyone then!
While it might seem silly to plan out things like this, I absolutely love it. It gives us things to focus on and be intentional about, and we are creating traditions for our family and how we spend the holidays together and the memories we make from that will be priceless!
What’s one of your favorite holiday traditions that’s on your “to do” list this year?