Monday, October 6, 2014

Michelle's Vegetarian Chili

A few weeks ago, I had a contest in my August challenge group! I challenged my participants to give me their favorite healthy recipe that they love, and that of those that were submitted, I would draw a winner, post about it, and try it!

I had a few great entries, and wish I could have chosen them all, but only one winner could be picked. (However, I must say I will most likely be making all of the recipes, they looked so good!) I am happy to announce that my lovely challenger, Michelle has won! She submitted her recipe for her favorite Vegetarian Chili, which is absolutely perfect for the crisp, fall weather headed our way!

Check out this easy, healthy and delicious recipe for Vegetarian Chili! The original post is from The Picky Eater Blog  . And props to her for coming up with such a fantastic vegetarian chili! This is a great classic to try this fall. This chili is on our menu this week, and I will be posting my thoughts about it over the weekend!

(Image from Google)

Michelle's Favorite Vegetarian Chili

Ingredients
1 15oz can Kidney beans, drained and rinsed
1 15oz can Black beans, drained and rinsed
1 15oz can Pinto beans, drained and rinsed
1 cup frozen corn
1 red bell pepper, diced
1 green bell pepper, diced
1 red onion, diced
1 28oz can crushed tomatoes
1 cup vegetable broth
5 garlic cloves, minced
1 heaping tbsp chili powder
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp coriander
1 tsp Ghirardelli cocoa powder (unsweetened)
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp (or a bit less) cayenne pepper
A couple splashes of soy sauce
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp smoked paprika
1/2 tsp regular paprika
Optional toppings: shredded cheddar cheese, green onions, o% Greek Yogurt (or Low Fat/Fat Free Sour Cream), tortilla chips

Directions (per The Picky Eater Blog)
1.  Chop the garlic, onion, and bell peppers. Saute lightly over medium high heat in 1-2 tsp olive oil. Meanwhile, wash the beans until all of the canning liquid is gone. 
2. Once the veggies have sauteed for about 5 minutes, add everything else into the pot (tomatoes, beans, spices, etc.). Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 30 min or longer as needed.
3.  Once the chili is done cooking, you can top it with anything you like!

And there you have it! I can't wait to try out this hearty vegetarian chili this week, and interested to see how the addition of cocoa powder works out! It is supposed to give it a great smoky flavor. What's your favorite chili recipe variation? Share below! 





No comments:

Post a Comment