Monday, September 3, 2012

Captured Frames: Cambodia

I would be lying if I said that when we first arrived in Cambodia, I was excited.

As we walked across the border (which was an ordeal in and of itself), I noticed the change immediately in our surroundings. And what I saw looked a lot like Africa, Uganda, specifically. And because that was a more difficult month for me, I began to dread what lie ahead.

Our team eventually arrived at our tiny village in Kampot Province, and our surroundings began to morph into what looked like the set of Gilligan's Island. Towering coconut trees stood above us, dirt roads all around, dry rice fields, sandy dirt. But we were greeted with warm affection and love, and my heart began to soften ever so slightly for Cambodia.

It is true that Cambodia is a poor country. They estimate that only about twenty percent of the country has fixed electricity. Our team had electricity only for about three hours a day, provided by the gentle hum of a generator. But even despite the lack of electricity, we found things to do. And my heart warmed even more to the simplicity and beauty of life.

The people of Cambodia captivated my heart. Young and old. They are gentle, and kind. Hope is beginning to sparkle deep in their eyes. I felt that deep set hope from the people throughout the month. Through all the hurt from Cambodia's past, God has a plan for this remarkable little nation. And hope awaits.

I fell in love with Cambodia that month. It was not love at first sight by any means. But God began to woo my heart through gentle whispers in that place, and I saw His fingerprints everywhere.

So don't go judging a book by it's cover. Let God surprise you with the outcome.

Enjoy the video!


No comments:

Post a Comment