Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Ways to Surprise Your Husband

Last week, God laid it on my heart to do some extra special things for my husband, just to simply show how much I care and how I much love him. They weren't necessarily huge, extravagant gestures, but they were simple little ways to remind him exactly why I loved him and was blessed to be his wife.

Zach and I during our first dance. 


Now, I must say that I am a HUGE fan of surprises. I love planning them and seeing them come to fruition. Some of my favorite memories involve surprising the ones I love. Whether it was my best friend and her bachelorette party to Disneyland, or coming home from 11 months overseas and surprising my parents, or just a candle lit dinner for my husband when he comes home, I love planning the unexpected things.

My best friend Sarah and I at my wedding.


It just adds so much excitement and zest to life! I may get even more joy out of planning these things than the other people may have in getting them, but I love it.

So as newly weds, our budget isn't the hugest in the world, as I'm sure many other newly weds around our age can attest to. That meant working with what we had for the most part and turning it into something special for Zach.

Originally these were all supposed to be in one week, but it ended up being stretched over two weeks because Zach had an issue with his back and was home from work (thankfully he is all healed up now thought!).

Here are a few of the ideas that I used to surprise one of the most important person in my life to let him know that I loved him and I was on his side, and adore him.

1. I made him breakfast in bed. Now this may not seem like a huge thing, but we love to just snuggle into bed and talk and share life together that way some mornings. So I decided to kick it up a notch, make breakfast in bed, and then bring in our computer to watch a funny movie together in bed! It was a hit and just a wonderful way to start our day.

2. I covered the bathroom mirror with notes. Post it notes are some of my favorites! So I decided to grab a pad, and write down a ton of different encouraging thoughts, notes, reasons why I love him, and just affirmations. I then snuck into the bathroom and plastered them all over the mirror for him to find and be encouraged by. They stayed up there for a good week until I had to take them down to clean the mirror!

3. Have a picnic at home on the living room floor. Sometimes you just can't make it to the park for a picnic. But I brought the picnic home! I cooked us dinner, put a blanket on the floor, grabbed some candles and set the stage for a fancy, romantic picnic dinner on the floor! You throw on a favorite Pandora or Spotify station and you have a hit!

Candle light picnic, anyone?


4. Baked a sweet treat. There's always the saying that a way to a man's heart is through his stomach. I don't know if that's the only way, but I know that Zach has a sweet tooth, so I decided to bake him a special treat to fill his stomach and warm his heart!

Yummy banana oat muffins! 


5. Created a scavenger hunt. I love doing scavenger hunts! Before Zach came home from work, I told him he would not see me at the door, but he would have clues to find me and he had to follow them in order. We have been on a Harry Potter kick lately, so I created a Harry Potter themed scavenger hunt, had the soundtrack playing in the background (thanks to Spotify), and then we watched one of the Harry Potter movies and I attempted to make "butterbeer." It was a special and fun night!

Our attempt at butterbeer...not healthy, but pretty tasty! I would not advice drinking it on a regular basis, hah! 


No comments:

Post a Comment