Saturday, July 5, 2014

10 Favorite Spots Around Atlanta

Since I moved down ITP (that's "inside the perimeter" in Atlanta language) I've had a chance to explore this fine city a little bit. And while I still have a lot to explore, here are a few of my favorite places I've been so far!

10. Dr. Bombay's Underwater Tea Party- This is an awesome little tea house near Candler Park. It's a fantastic atmosphere and some great treats! Tea party, anyone?

9. Egg Harbor Cafe- A great brunch spot in the Sandy Springs area of town! It has wonderful, fresh, down home delicious breakfast choices and tasty lunch morsels! Bring a friend or two and go enjoy some southern sweet tea out of a mason jar! You can check it out here. 

8. Atlanta Botanical Gardens- This garden is absolutely gorgeous, as is the park it's in- Piedmont Park! Be sure to check out the Botanical Gardens during Christmas, it has millions of lights and is completely over the top and gorgeous! 


7. Hapeville Main Street- Hapeville is a small little town right near the Atlanta airport, but it has some wonderful murals, a fantastic bakery called Buttersweet, and a neat historic church next to a picturesque park with a gazebo. You can also walk over above the train tracks and watch the trains come in and out, and then stop over at the old historical drug store where they still have the original soda fountain handles! 

6. Chattahoochee River National Recreation Area- A great place to dip your toes into the 'Hooch, splash around, ride an inner tube in the summer, take a walk or go for a run, and explore some cool forest areas around the city! Check out all you can do here. I think parking is only like $3, and so that's pretty good for a National Rec area! 

5. Decatur town square- Of course I have to shout out my own town square! There are AMAZING local restaurants down here, two of my favorites are Sweet Melissa's (but come early, they close around 2pm), and the Brick Store Pub. Decatur is also home to the famous Eddie's Attic! Tons of musicians have been found here, and they have great live music all the time!

4. Marietta town square- This is another adorable town square that holds a ton of history and fun boutiques and shops. There are some great restaurants like The Vineyard Cafe and Gift shop, and they also have a lot of events that happen as well. You can check out Civil War era reenactments during the summer! 

3. Stone Mountain Park- One of my favorite places for a quick hike with a great view of the entire city. You can also walk around to a working bell tower that was from the World's Fair! That's one of my favorite spots in the whole park. They have a covered bridge, a historic mill, and on weekends (or every day during the summer) a laser light/fireworks show! It's a great southern experience for sure. 

My hubby and I dancing in front of Stone Mountain before the show started!

Some more views of the park from early spring last year!

2. Georgia Aquarium- I absolutely LOVE aquariums. I love water, I love fish, I love color, I love swimming. I could literally spend hours in this place. The Georgia Aquarium is full of some great exhibits, you can touch sting rays, starfish, sea urchins, and all kinds of things! They also have a dolphin show, whale sharks, and beluga whales. It can be a little pricey, BUT if you are a Georgia resident, you get in for FREE on your birthday! I took advantage of that this year for sure.



1. Dekalb Farmer's Market- Literally my FAVORITE place in all of the Atlanta area, and I go here once a week. I just love it that much! This place is not your typical farmer's market where different people come and sell different things. No. This place is about the size of a Costco or Sam's Club, and is filled to the brim with things from ALL OVER THE WORLD. And people from all over the world. I absolutely love it, and the prices cannot be beat. We get all of our produce and spices here, along with some meats and cheeses. They have an outstanding seafood department, too! If you are ever in the area, seriously, you HAVE to see this place. But, I will warn you, There are a lot of people. The best times to go are weekdays, either when they open (9am) or an hour and a half before they close (7:30-9pm). If you go on the weekends, stay to those times as well. But, it's worth it!

No comments:

Post a Comment