Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Money Wasn't Really the Issue



"That's a good bit of money."

Those were my first thoughts when I started thinking about investing in my health, when I was starting to see that I wanted to change. Being newly weds, we didn't have an extreme amount of money floating around, and I am still learning how to budget and be a better steward of our money (and am thankful for a husband who diligently tracks all our receipts and finances for us).

Putting money into something that I wasn't sure I could do was scary. Especially holding it up to the light of my track record. I had attempted to do two other workout programs before, gotten a few weeks through them, and then they collected dust and I went back to my ol ways.

Nothing had worked.

In truth, the programs that I tried had worked, I saw some results. But I lost motivation and I was the one who gave myself excuses and eventually gave up altogether.

And as I was contemplating yet another investment in a workout program, thinking of all the times before, I realized something. I wasn't truly hesitant because of the money. The issue was me. The issue was my determination, or lack thereof that made my money a "waste."

When it boiled down, I was afraid of change. Afraid to give up the things I had held onto practically all my life. My identity as an overweight girl. My comfort in rich, often unhealthy foods. My easy going, only sometimes active lifestyle. I was afraid of what change would really look like.

Oh, if only I had known then.

After talking with my husband and getting his full support, we ordered the workout program, and started it together after it arrived. It was hard. It was a change. It was difficult to keep going at times and I wanted to stop.



But I kept going. I made up my mind that I did not in fact want to keep living the way I had lives, because that was going to lead to a place full of health problems and not the life I wanted. I threw away my excuses, stopped blaming it on timing, money, circumstance, genes, and anything else that came to mind.

I realized that I was responsible for this. I had to do it. And I did!



It has been one of the best decisions of my life because it has not only started my physical transformation, I have become more disciplined in all areas of my life. My quiet time of Bible study I more consistent. I am reading and listening to personal development books. I have been investing more into my marriage and relationships. I am more alert for life, and it is incredible.

Of course there are always days that I struggle. That I want to give into stress and eat a whole bag I chips dunked in salsa. There are days I don't want to workout. Days I don't want to do the things I said I was going to do.

But I have found that the struggle is worth it. The investment is worth it. The time is worth it. You may not see the effects immediately, but over time, if you stick to it daily, you will see results in your life. Keep going.

Think seriously about the investments you make in life. What is tilt holding you back? Confront your fears and go after the thing you are called to. Be bold and be courageous!

What's one thing in your life that you are afraid to change? Share below!


No comments:

Post a Comment