Who doesn't love the goodness of a warm muffin fresh out of the oven? That heavenly scent wafting through the air like a good, warm, comforting blanket. Not all muffin recipes are creating equal, though! Some can be loaded down with sugar and will leave you dragging.
I have been using this banana oat muffin recipe for a while now as our go to muffin recipe so that we can have something quick and easy to grab in the morning, or if we are traveling. They keep well, and taste delicious!
Here's what you need to know to make these tasty muffins...
1 1/2 cups flour (whole wheat is one of the healthier options)
1 cup rolled oats
2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
2 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. nutmeg
1 egg, beaten
1/2 cup milk
1/3 cup oil
1/2 cup honey
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1 mashed ripe banana (2 if you want it extra banana-y!)
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2. In a large bowl, stir together flour, oats, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg. (All of the first section of ingredients)
3. In a medium bowl, beat your egg.
4. Add in milk, oil, honey, vanilla and banana with the egg and mix well together.
5. Create a well in the middle of your flour mixture, and pour in the liquid mixture.
6. Gently stir all ingredients until they are moistened.
7. Fill greased muffin tins to 2/3 full (should make 12 muffins)
8. Bake for 13-18 minutes, or until golden brown. (I find that 14-16 minutes is the sweet spot for my oven)
9. Remove from muffin tin and let cool on a cooling rack...then ENJOY!
TIP...these muffins are super easy and super delicious, so don't be afraid to make a bigger batch and freeze the extras for later!