Wednesday, January 14, 2015

Biggest Nutrition Weakness



Everyone has their weakness when it comes to nutrition. For some, it may be chocolate, or wine. Others, a nice big hamburger. Candy. Popcorn. Soda. The list could honestly go on and on because each one of us likes different things and craves different foods.

Want to know what my biggest nutritional weakness and struggle is? Carbs.

I am a carb-o-holic.

Bread in particular is a big weakness, but also chips, pita chips, tortillas, oh and of course the classic combo of chips and salsa. I definitely crave the salty and savory snacks over the sweet. Some might argue that that is good, but, as I have learned in my life struggling with weight, carbs don't hold much better for me.

Honestly there were times where I would buy a bag of pita chips and sit there and eat, and suddenly realize that I ate the whole bag. I can vividly remember when I came home to the states after being overseas for over a year and missing American food very much (mistake), I went out and bought a tub of hummus and a bag of pita chips and I'm pretty sure I ate the whole thing right there. Ouch.

Looking back those are not my finest moments. When I came home from being overseas particularly, I had a very unhealthy relationship with food. My mentality was "Oh my gosh, I haven't had all of these foods in so long, I'm going to treat myself!" Well that never stopped. And it usually happened with carbs or food that held no nutritional value.

That led to me gaining all of the weight I had lost being overseas, plus adding on more pounds (I honestly don't know how many because I was too ashamed to step on the scale), and reaching my heaviest weight ever.

That is when I decided that I had had enough, and that I needed to change. I am so thankful that Zach stood beside me when I came to him with tears in my eyes, trying to explain how uncomfortable I felt in my own skin, and how unhealthy I felt, and that I needed a change. I am so thankful that my life has turned around and I am getting healthier every day.

But, I must say, that my struggle with food and carbs is still going. When I started working out, I didn't pay a whole lot of attention to what I was eating until about a month and a half in, and I started digging into what I needed to do to get healthy through nutrition.

I learned about proper portion sizes for every food group through doing the 21 Day Fix, which has been life changing as well. Looking at food and the portions I was eating, noticing my cravings, and noticing my eating habits, I realized that I have a lot of work to do.

Not only am I a carb-o-holic, but I tend to eat when I'm bored, or zone out. Dangerous combination. Our eating habits go so much deeper than just the surface of "I'm hungry, I want to eat this." And there are definitely unhealthy relationships that I have with food that I am still breaking (my craving for carbs, particularly the empty carbs that don't aid my bodies nutrition).



I wanted to share this with you and be vulnerable because I want you to know that you are not alone. I know there are so many others out there exactly like me. If not with carbs, you have another vice. Another relationship with food. Another bad eating habit. And I'm telling you, we can get through this.

Your body is a temple, and 80% of the battle for our health is what we feed ourselves. I know that I am striving every day to break the cycle, and nourish my body. I am happy to say that I have been eating more veggies and fruit than I ever have in my life before, and I don't intend on stopping. Every day I am checking myself, especially with carbs and asking myself, "DO I REALLY NEED THIS?"

It can be so incredibly hard to step away from a craving. So hard to put down that second serving. So hard to say no, and walk away.

But I want to tell you that you can do it. Be encouraged and know that you are not alone, and that you can do this.


No comments:

Post a Comment