Friday, January 9, 2015

5 Ways to Get Motivated to Workout

There are days where working out is literally the last thing that I want to do. We are all human, and life happens. You get tired, it's cold outside, you have a million other things on your to do list, and working out starts getting knocked down to the bottom of your list.

I used to get to that point of no motivation, and that's where I would give up. In the past this is where I would say "well, maybe I'll just start over again on Monday." And then Monday would never come. Because when you lose momentum, it can be hard to pick it back up. I know, because I have been there over and over again.

I saw a great quote by Zig Ziglar on Pinterest this week.
"People often say that motivation doesn't last. Well, neither does bathing. That's why we recommend it daily."



While amusing, it proves a point. Motivation comes, and motivation goes. It's up to us to get our butts in gear, get motivated and more importantly, get moving. While this can apply to virtually all areas of your life that you need motivation in, today I'm specifically going to give you some tips on how you can get motivated to workout!

1. Get an accountability partner or group. Seriously, I am the biggest advocate for this, and not just because I lead accountability groups and coach some amazing people. The REASON I lead these accountability groups is because accountability WORKS. This is the one key that has kept me going for almost an entire year straight now, when before I could barely keep consistent with anything for two weeks. Get someone to keep you accountable!



2. Write it in your calendar. Get your workout in ink on paper, or marked down on your calendar in your phone. You could even set an alarm! Writing it down helps to solidify your plans. Set a specific time for your workout, and try to plan for the full week at a time. Don't give yourself excuses, block out that time and stick to it. You'll be glad you did!

3. Set out your workout clothes before you workout. If you are working out when you first wake up in the morning, set your clothes and shoes out ready to go for the morning. Cue up your DVD, get  your gym bag ready, whatever you need, get it ready. If you work out at night when you get home from work, same thing. Set everything out so that it is ready for you to get into when you come home. The more you prepare, the less excuses you can come up with to talk yourself out of it.

4. Pump up the jams! Find or create a playlist that inspires you. Wake up to it, get ready to it, and workout to it! Music is a great way to work yourself up into the mood and motivation. Keep it ready and have fun with it.

5. Find a way to put a visual up in your house of your goal. What do I mean by that? Well, personally, I have a goal to fit into a certain dress by my husband and I's second wedding anniversary. It's many sizes smaller than I wear, and a gorgeous dress, and it's my goal to get into that dress by the end of this year! Yours could be a pair of jeans, a swimsuit, anything really. If you have it though, put it on a hanger and put it out where you can see it every day to help remind you why you are doing this!


There are just a few ways that you can get yourself motivated to stay in the fight for your health and fitness. Of course there are so many others, but that's a start for you. Above all, remember that consistency is key. Not just with health and fitness, but every area of life.

How do you get yourself motivated to get your workout going? Share below!



No comments:

Post a Comment