Friday, August 17, 2012

Captured Frames (Videos from the World Race)

It has been almost two months since I touched back down in the United States of America. That's crazy/weird/strange. Two months since my ears were surrounded in stereo by people speaking in English. Since that day Y Squad had our last customs check, and were told "Welcome home" by the United States customs officers. The day that I wept saying goodbye to the forty some people that have become dear family to me over the past eleven months. And the day that I began a new season.

But now is a time to reflect back on the World Race. A year ago, I was in Kenya, Africa. A smile comes to my face, and a laugh, remembering the novelty of it all. Experiencing a new culture for the first time. Stepping onto African soil, seeing a herd of wild zebras on our bus ride to Kitale, experiencing the crazy public transportation in Africa known as matatus. Everything.

I can still see the countryside in Kapenguria.
I can still hear the Soikan family, and the laughter and love.
I can hear the roosters crowing at ungodly hours of the morning.
The rain on the tin roof.
I can hear the laughter of the children in the field, shouting "mzungu! mzungu!" any time we walked outside the house.
I can feel the grass beneath my feet as I run with them playing soccer and frisbee.

Now I want to share these pictures and videos with you. I have made a video for each country I served in on the World Race, and will be releasing them on my blog over the next few weeks! Today will be my first month, Kenya. Enjoy a look into what my life was like around the world this past year!










No comments:

Post a Comment