The result, I must say, turned out delicious! It was filling, but not too heavy, and really hit the spot to quench my lasagna craving.
Here's how you make these tasty lasagna rolls! They are surprisingly easier than you think.
Healthy Lasagna Rolls (makes 8 rolls)
8 whole wheat lasagna noodles (or more if you want a bigger recipe. You can also use any gluten free or quinoa lasagna noodle if your store carries it!)
1 lb. spicy ground turkey sausage (or just ground turkey if your store does not have turkey sausage)
2 cups cottage cheese
2 cups spinach
2 cloves of garlic, minced
1 tsp. olive oil
Tomato sauce of choice (ours was about 20oz)
2 tsp. basil
2 tsp. oregano
1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
Garlic powder and pepper to taste
Preheat oven to 375 degrees
1. Bring a pot of water to a rolling boil and cook your lasagna noodles until tender, drain and set aside.
2. While noodles cook, heat olive oil over medium high heat in a large skillet. Cook minced garlic in heated oil for about one minute.
3. Add the turkey sausage to the garlic and brown.
4. Once the turkey is brown, put the two cups of spinach in and cook until it has wilted.
5. In a large bowl, combine cottage cheese, basil, oregano, and garlic powder and pepper to taste.
6. Add the turkey and spinach mixture to the cottage cheese, stir until combined.
7. Lightly spray a 9x13 baking dish with cooking spray
8. Time to assemble the rolls!
9. Take a lasagna noodle, layer it lightly and evenly with tomato sauce, then spoon the cottage cheese and turkey mixture on it.
10. Roll up carefully and place in the pan so the end of the noodle is on the underside.
11. Repeat through all 8 noodles, roll and place in pan.
12. Pour the remaining sauce over all of the rolls, and top each roll with mozzarella cheese.
13. Cover with foil, bake for 25 minutes, then uncover and bake for about 10 more minutes, until cheese is bubbling and browning.
14. Scoop out and enjoy!!
No more cutting through lasagna pieces, roll and scoop it out. You can also substitute some of the cottage cheese for a little bit of plain Greek yogurt as well, and play around with your own Italian spices!
Enjoy this revamped version of lasagna!
What's your favorite comfort food?