Monday, April 22, 2013

I Love What I Do

God gave me a revelation the other day. One that I already truly knew in my heart, but it still surprised me. It took my breath away for a second, and made my heart quicken, and a smile come across my lips.

I absolutely love what I do.

I'm already in a place of living out my dream.

That's pretty darn cool. Of course there are other things that I have dreams and desires for. But I am in a position right now where I am able to accomplish the goals and dreams that are currently on my heart.

The other day in one of our CGA classes, we were given the assignment to put together our own life "mission statement." We were given a tool online to do so, one that asked us detailed questions about what we love to do, what drains us, what people would say about you on your 80th birthday.

From there this tool "generated" our missions statement. Gave us a visual word picture of what we had already written out. Mine turned out to be pretty lengthy, but I noticed many themes coming out. I remembered the strong undercurrents and passions that God has placed in my life.

One of the biggest things that stood out to me from that missions statement exercise was what the survey said about work from my answers.

I will enjoy my work by finding employment where I can draw, and be creative. Whether that is making a sign, or making a drink, I love to be able to make things for other people and make it beautiful. I love being able to interact with people, find out who they are, and tell them why they are special. I love personal one on one interaction more than group setting, so that I can personally and individually speak into their lives. I love being able to find little ways to serve people around me to brighten their day.

That's when it occurred. I already get to do that now. I already have the opportunities in front of me now. I work at Starbucks on the side of the program that I'm involved with at Adventures in Missions, and it has been such a blessing to have that job.

It's a place where I get to create. I get to create signs for Starbucks, I get to create drinks. It is a place where I can use my creativity in quite a few unique ways. I am able to interact with people that I would normally not have contact with, and I get to speak into their lives.

I get to pray for them, get to know them, make their day special. I am able to serve and help create an atmosphere of community. These things are huge for me.

While what I physically do for a job may change over the years and over the seasons, these core things are true to who I am and who God has made me to be and how He intends for me to operate within this world.

To create and bring beauty into the world, to interact with others and serve, and just show the heart of God to those around me.

I love what I do, truly I do.

And that is an incredible blessing to my heart, even if God had to hit me upside the head with the revelation before it finally clicked. 

So here's to walking forward each day, doing what I love to do, being obedient to God's heart every day and to where He leads.


Here are some pictures of signs that I have been able to create while working at Starbucks!



















No comments:

Post a Comment