Friday, April 12, 2013

The Ugly, Beautiful Truth



Right now I'm reading (re-reading) through "A Thousand Gifts." It's a shorter, simple book. But one packed with deep, profound truth that resonates so much with where I am at right now. It's a book on finding thanks in the little things.

Taking a moment to breath in, and breathe out "thank you" to God for even the smallest gifts. For actually recognizing those small moments as gifts, when it is so easy to pass by and not even notice.

The picture above is a passage in the book, recounting a story of a woman reading a book that was displaying "1,000 Places to See Before You Die." Which sounds like an amazing book, and I'm sure it's packed full of magnificent pictures, splashed with color and lights, inviting you in to smell and step into a new reality.

But the author poses this deep question. "Isn't it here? Can't I find it here?"

I ask myself the same question. Isn't it here? Can't I find it here?

For some reason, coming back home from the race, I have found myself going through periods of time where it has been difficult to be thankful. Times where I'm just tired, and life seems to lack the luster it once had.

My eyesight seems foggy with sleep and confusion, and it is harder to find the beauty in those small moments like I have before. My schedule feels full to overflowing, and I feel anxiousness closing in and I don't have time to stop and smell the roses.

But the more I hurry on, the more I pass over those little moments, the more my heart hurts and I long for relief.

The solution?

Gratitude.

Thanksgiving.

Thank you, Jesus.

Thank you for spring showers that bring May flowers. (Because sometimes the rain and clouds just feel like a weight on my shoulders)



Thank you for gorgeous budding trees. (The once barren trees are now a symbol of new life)



Thank you for the days that the sun does shine in Georgia. (This desert girl just loves the sunshine)

Thank you for coffee. (Because it is so sweet and smooth)

Thank you for warm breezes, laughter with friends, bouncing on trampolines, staring at the stars, taking walks in the park, for good conversation, for time around a kitchen table, for the stillness of the morning, for a glassy lake that reflects the sun in all its glory.

No, sometimes life is hard. Sometimes I am tired, overwhelmed, and I feel the pressure, speed and anxiousness of this world. And in those moments, it's hard to make myself stop and say thank you.

Sometimes I wish I could hold those sweet babies in China, laugh with kids in Cambodia, paint another mural on a dusty foreign wall, mime out what I want to say with someone who speaks a different language.

But there is so much to be thankful for here, right now. And when I stop to say thank you, I am overwhelmed with joy and realize how extremely blessed I am.

I want to capture those moments, and those things I am thankful for. Not to say I have a perfect life. I don't, and never will. But I love capturing those moments that God gives me here. Those little things I'm thankful for.

So here are some of those moments of beauty I've found recently here in Georgia.















What are you thankful for today?















No comments:

Post a Comment