Friday, March 8, 2013

Lost Car Keys

If you have ever misplaced something important, you'll understand the panic that fluttered around my heart this morning.

The day started off much like any typical day, well, except for oversleeping. But, it's Friday, I thought, it's alright. I got dressed, ready to tackle the plans I had made for the day. I was going to work outside of the office, maybe get my oil changed in my car, and enjoy this beautiful Friday.

I headed quietly downstairs early in the morning, excited to get a jump start on my day. I put my bags onto the kitchen table, securing everything and went to grab my car keys.

Only they weren't where I put them. They were gone.

I thought oh, maybe I forgot to clip them onto my purse and they're on the floor in my room. My mood mostly unchanged, I head back upstairs to get my keys off the floor. I walk into the room, and search the floor. And search. And search.

My car keys are nowhere to be found.

Now, I start getting concerned. I begin looking through all the places that my car keys could even possibly be, my workout backpack, no. The kitchen table? No. The dining room table? No. Remote, obscure places on the floor? No. In my clothes? No. Still in the car? No.

I wracked my brain, trying to retrace my steps from when I drove home from work Wednesday night. I even went out to the car to see if I left them in there. Nope. Now I was getting flustered. I have no spare key, and really don't have the money to rekey my car. I had absolutely no idea where they could be.

I began praying, praying for peace, knowing that God knew where they were.

I called my roommate, wondering if she had seen them. Then I thought to ask if she would check the office to see if they somehow ended up there, maybe falling out of my backpack.

Waiting sure is hard sometimes. I felt at a loss, not knowing where in the world my keys could be.

Finally, I got the text, my keys were found! Indeed, they must have fallen out of my backpack onto the couch at the office.

My heart heaved a sigh of relief.

But then something funny happened. My heart started to throw a little pity party for itself. All those plans I had made for the day, down the drain. I was going to get some errands done, and get work done. It was going to be a great productive day.

Now, I was stuck at home, my car here with me, my keys at the office. Great.

I had to stop and ask myself, why am I getting upset about this? It is so inconsequential. My car keys are found. I made myself a cup of coffee and settled in for some much needed quiet time with Jesus after a hectic morning of not knowing where my keys went.

I sat and soaked in the morning sun, looking out onto the shining lake, rippling against the gentle wake of the morning breeze. I stopped and took a breath. Processed. I was disappointed because my expectations for the day were not met.



But, I asked myself, doesn't God always have my best in mind? Doesn't he always have a plan? Am I willing to be interrupted in my life, willing to be interrupted by my Father when He calls me away into the quiet of His heart, even when it "interferes" with my already made plans?

Am I willing to be interrupted by God?

I sat and thought, and realized my heart was warming. Yes. I may not have been in the moment, but oh was I ready for him to interrupt this morning and see what He had. And He showed up and spoke to my heart in a very unique way. One that I may have missed if I had had my car keys this morning.

In a moment of disruption, God had peace. And I found the joy to thank him for everything in that moment, that I even had a car to lose keys to, and, that those keys were found.



Thank you Lord, for lost car keys.


What quiet moment is God calling you into today? Are you willing to have your schedule interrupted by God for that moment with Him?

No comments:

Post a Comment